Method for Preparing Urundai or Dumpling's:
- First Soak a cup of chana dal in warm water for an hour.
- Grind it along with 1/2 tsp Fennel/Saunf, 3 Dry Red Chilli, little salt, few Curry leaves and with 2tbsp of water in which it was soaked.
- This should be grinded coarsely with less water.
- Shape the paste into medium sized ball's.
- Microwave it for 3 minute's. (or) Steam them for 4-5 minute's.
Ingredients for the Gravy:
1. Onion-1 finely sliced
2. Tomatoes-2 finely sliced
3. Tamarind- one small lemon size.
4. Jaggery-2 tbsp's
5. Turmeric Powder-1/4 tsp
6. Chilly Powder-2 tsp ( I use Aachi Kuzhambhu Milagaai thool)
7. Corriander Powder-3 tsp
8. Oil - 4tbsp
9. Mustard-1/4 tsp
10. Curry Leaves-10
11. Corriander Leaves- 2tsp
1. Heat Oil in a Kadaai/ Pan. add mustard seeds, when it makes sound, add curry leaves.
2. Add finely sliced onions and saute it well. Now add Tomatoes and saute it well, till they mix with each other.
3. Soak the Tamarind in a 1.2 cup of warm water for 5 minutes. and squeeze the tamarind and keep it aside.
4. Add little bit of salt, Turmeric powder, Chilli Powder and Corriander powder to the onion-tomato mix in the pan.
5. Add the steamed chana dal ball's to the pan and coat the ball's with the masala.
6. Add Tamarind water and let it boil, add Jaggery here. and close the pan with it's lid and let it sit on low flame for about 5-7 minutes.
7. Add Corriander Leaves to Garnish.
This is best with Hot Rice and for Dosa/Idli even for the next day. as there is no coconut added.
Iam sending her this as my entry. Do check in at her place for a variety of dishes.