This is one of our favourite chutney's. I learned the recipe from aval vikatan. I also clubbed Bharathy's recipe with aval vikatan and got the recipe of this yummy Onion Thokku.
This Recipe Yields about 1 cup.
good enough for 4 adults.
Small Onion's - 1 cup / 15 nos.
Big Red Onion - 1
Tamarind - 1 small lemon size
Turmeric Powder - a pinch
Chilli Powder - 3 tsp's
Oil - 3 tbsp's
To Dry Roast and Grind:
Mustard - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
1. Dry roast Mustard, cumin and asafoetida and powder it coarsely.
2. Peel the small onions and Big onion.
3. Soak Tamarind in 1/4 cup of warm water for about 10 minutes and squeeze the pulp. discard the pulp and use the thick tamarind juice.
4. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan, add small onions and roast them, then add big onions and roast the onions. add salt so that the onions cook fast. once the onions are almost cooked, remove from flame and cool them.
5. Grind the onions with just 1 or 2 tsp's of water into a coarse form.
6. Heat the Remaining oil in a Pan, add coarsely grounded small onion's and saute it in oil. add salt to taste, Chilli Powder and the Grounded powder. Give a mix.
7. Add the Thick Tamarind Juice to the pan and mix well. reduce the flame to medium and keep mixing the chutney for 5 minutes in medium flame, till the chutney gets thicker and leaves oil on its sides.
8. Remove the chutney to a clean sterlised bottle. you can store this upto a week in fridge.
Serve this Onion Thokku with Idli, Dosa's.