Sirukkerai, a variety of Greens, is said to be good for Kidney's. I remember my ammumma buying a bunch of green's for 50 paise, now it has ended up to Rs.6. As every Child, i too had much hatreds with Green's. when i was ill with Jaundice, i was served different variety of greens daily for my lunch. some varieties like Manja Karusulanganni, Ponnankanni, and many other special greens. There started my Green Affair...
As Summer started over here, i prepare at least one dish with Greens for lunch daily. These Sirukkerai soup,Sirukeerai Rajma Curry dishes were the one's that i thought worth of sharing it with you all..
Method to Prepare Sirukkerai Soup:
This is very easy to prepare and its a big energy booster.
* Separate each leaf from the bunch and collect it in a basin.
* Now wash it for at least 3 time's to remove the Mud and small particles.
* In a Pan, have ¼ tsp of oil and saute the leaves.
* In a minute or two, it gets cooked. Cool them.
* Grind them with a cup of water and salt into a paste.
* Now in a pan, heat the grounded paste and let it boil.
* Have 1 tsp of corn flour mixed in a cup of water without any lumps.
* Add the corn flour mix to the pan, and stir well.
* Now the soup gets thicker.
* Add pepper and salt according to your taste.
Sirukeerai Rajma Curry:
I tried a little to find the english name for Sirukeerai. but got only latin names. if any one could share its english name, it will be very use full. okay, why have i combined this Sirukkerai/Green with Rajma/Kidney Bean's. These Kidney Bean's do real good to Kidney's. so why not it combined with sirukeerai for the maximum benefit..
Believe me, it tasted so good. the combination worked out very well. its better to try with this faded Rajma rather than Merone Red Rajma. These Faded Rajma gets cooked fast and is so soft. its nice to have it in the Kuzhambhu/curry.
- Sirukkerai-cleaned and washes leaves of one bunch
- Rajma/Kidney Bean's-1 cup (Soaked Overnight and pressure cooked upto 3 whsitles)
- Red onion-1(medium size)
- Dry Red chilli's-3
- Curry leaves-8
- Mustard-1/2 spoon
- Asafoetida powder-1/4 spoon
List of Powder's:
1. Turmeric Powder-a pinch2. Chilly Powder-1 spoon
3. Corriander Powder-2 spoons
4. Cumin Powder-1/2 spoon
In a Kadai. Heat 3 tsp's of oil. add mustard, when it cracks, add fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, garlic pods and red chilli's. fry them well. Now add Finely Chopped onions, fry them. add finely chopped tomatoes and mix well with the onions. Now add the green's and cook them for 2 minutes. Now add Rajma/Kidney Bean's to it and mix well. add all the Powder's mentioned in the order. add sufficient water and close the kadai with a lid. slower the flame and let them sit on low flame for about 5 minutes.
Hope you havent forgot to cook for my RCI-Lucknow. Keep Pouring in.......
I know, you all find it difficult to find vegetarian Lucknowi recipe's. you can look for awadhi cuisine's veg recipe's too.
Below are few link's that will help you to explore more on lucknowi cuisine..
- NDTV GoodTime's Lucknowi ( i will link it back soon)
Happy Holi !!