Eating Beetroot is a difficult task for me. so i never pick beets when i go for buying vegetables. But hubby brings atleast 1/2 kg of beets, when he goes to buy vegetables. most of the time i make Beetroot Kootu and this poriyal. I think i have tasted a similar sort of poriyal from Saravana Bhavan. This Poriyal has Chana Dal and Grated Coconut, which will make you eat, even if you are a beetroot hater like me.
Beetroot - 2
Chana Dal - 5 tbsp's
Big Onion - 1
Grated Coconut - 2 tsp's
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves - 8
Split Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilli - 2
Green Chilli - 1
1. Soak the Chana Dal in warm water for about 30 mins.
2. Peel the skin of the beetroot and chop then into small pieces.
3. Pressure Cook the Beetroot and Chana Dal for about 4 - 5 whistles.
4. Heat a Pan, add oil and heat it.
5. Add mustard seeds and let it pop and add split urad dal, curry leaves and green chilli & broken red chillis.
6. Now add the Finely Chopped Onion and fry it till it turns translucent.
7. Add Pressure Cooked Chana dal and Beetroot to the Pan and fry them for 2 minutes in medium flame.
8. Remove the Beetroot's from the flame and add grated coconut and give a stir. transfer to the serving bowl.
Serve Hot with Rice and Ghee. My kid liked it, So Why Don't You Try for your Kid?