We at home love Dal very much, and I prepare it for chapathis quite often. Two weeks back I watched this Dal Tadka recipe in a cookery show. I tried and had Dal Tadka with Missi roti, it was such an excellent combination and from then the dal taste is still lingering. You can see the cookery shows in you tube. i am linking one of her show.
Masoor Dal / Split Red Lentil – ½ cup
Moong Dal - ½ cup
Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
Tomato – 1 (chopped)
Green Chilli – 2 (slitted)
Garlic – 3 cloves (crushed)
Ginger – 1 inch (finely chopped)
Corriander Leaves – 2 tbsp (To garnish)
Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
Asafoetida powder – ¼ tsp
Oil – 2 tsp’s
Ghee / Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard – ¼ tsp
Cumin / Jeera – ¼ tsp
Nigella Seeds / Kalonji – ¼ tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Dry Red Chilli – 2 (broken)
1. Wash both the Masoor & moong dals. Pressure cook the dals with ¾ cup water, chopped ginger, crushed garlic, a pinch of turmeric powder, a tsp of oil and a pinch of asafoetida powder. Pressure cook for upto 4 whistles, till the dals are cooked till mashy.
2. Heat a pan, add a tsp of oil, add chopped onion, slitted green chilli’s and saute till the onions turn light brown.
3. Now add cooked and mashed dal to the pan and mix well. Then add the chopped tomatoes and give a mix. add salt to taste and little water, so that you get your desired consistency of the dal.
4. For Tadka, heat a small pan, add ghee or coconut oil, once the oil heats up, add mustard and let it pop, add kalonji, cumin, curry leaves and broken red chilli’s. Pour the Hot Tadka over the dal. Garnish with chopped corriander leaves.
Serve the Dal with Roti or Chapathi.
1. If you want dal to accompany Rice dish, prepare dal with Toor dal.
2. Always do the Tadka either with Ghee or Coconut Oil for the strong Flavor.
3. Nigella seeds is Onion seeds. Its also called as kalonji seeds. This is a must in the dal.